Rick was born in Asheville, grew up in nearby Brevard, and attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a Morehead Scholar. When he graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, he returned to Asheville to join Patla Straus Robinson & Moore, P.A. as a litigator, where he has remained for the past 35 years.
Rick has practiced in State and Federal Courts at both the trial and appellate levels, as well as in the North Carolina Business Court. He represents both Plaintiffs and Defendants, and has received Martindale-Hubbell's highest ("AV Preeminent") Peer Review Rating* for 15 consecutive years. He has performed pro bono services for clients through the Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program for over 20 years, and has also been certified as a mediator by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission.
Rick is married to Peggy Daniels, his wife of 40 years, and has two children and three grandchildren who have become his current hobby.
*AV® Preeminent ™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. For an explanation of the ratings process, please see www.martindale.com/ratings.
Areas Of Practice
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Wills and Estate Litigation
- Health & Healthcare Law
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- North Carolina, 1979
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- J.D. - 1979
- University of North Carolina , Chapel Hill
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: Zoology
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- 28th Judicial District Bar, Member
- The North Carolina State Bar, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer Program